Monday, December 28, 2009

Giving Back



I absolutely love quilting. I described it to a friend as almost like falling in love. I love the colours and feel of the fabric, the creative process, calculating the measurements, stitching straight lines, seeing something emerge that has never been before. For a long time now I have felt I would like to give back in a small way. Sure, I give my quilts to family and friends, but there's something nice about giving anonymously to someone that can't say thank you directly (we've been on the receiving end of that lately).




A few days ago I phoned our local Children's Hospital - John Hunter - and spoke to a nurse from the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I told her I would like to make some quilts for their babies and asked what they needed. She told me that when a baby dies they like to give the parents a quilt to take home as a keepsake. The quilts only need to be tiny.




So here is my first quilt for this very worthy cause. This quilt is 20 inches square and is made from soft cotton flannel front and back. It has no batting, but is quilted around the blocks and outer edge. It only took me about 2 hours to make and it felt like such a privilege.


If you would like to join me in making these tiny blankets email me or make a comment.

1 comment:

  1. I have put my sewing machine away for a little while to try and get better balance in my life (who knew that life is not all about sewing and quilting and fabric?). Anyway, I really want to come on board with this one and I have some fabrics ear marked, so if you can send me the requirements I will make a plan.
    I love the quilt you have made, so soft. I'm sure it will bring some comfort to parents going through a very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com