Thursday, December 24, 2009

Just Another Quilting Blog

Since being bitten by the quilting bug about 18 months ago I have been completely blown away by the creativity and inspiration found on so many quilting blogs. I would love to be part of that amazing online community and maybe give a little back.

Here's a couple of Christmas presents I made last night.

I made these pot holders using the demo blocks from my Christmas Tree Quilt pattern "Pine For You". They were so easy to make. My tree blocks were about 8 1/2 inches square and I cut out a peice of insul-brite batting and backing fabric just slightly larger (9 inches square). I put the backing fabric face down, then the batting, and then the top fabric right side up. Then I pinned through all layers (2-3 inches apart) and hand quilted around the trees with Pearle Cotton No. 8. Trim the batting and backing to the same size as the top fabric.

For the binding I cut a strip of fabric 1 3/4 inch x 44 inches. I ironed it in half lengthways, wrong sides together, and then folded both sides into the centre crease and ironed again. I started sewing the binding on the top left side of the pot holder making sure the crease was on the edge (with a fold to the back and a fold to the front). When I had sewn around all 4 sides and got back to the beginning I continued sewing for a few inches to make a little tab. Cut it to the desired length, fold the end over 1/4 inch and then fold the tab in half and sew it to the back of the pot holder. I tried a few different ways of attaching the tab. Anyway, that was a pretty shonky explanation, but its Christmas eve and I don't have time to take 'how to' pictures. Maybe I'll come back and do a proper tutorial on this later.

I also made this oven mitt with left over fabric, using Denyse Schmidt's pattern from her book. It was so fun and easy to make. I'll definitely be making some more of these.

4 comments:

  1. Thank You for being the member of this website. Please allow me to have the opportunity to express my satisfaction with Host Gator web hosting. They offer professional and express support and they also offering some [url=http://tinyurl.com/hostgator-coupons-here ]Host gator coupons[/url].

    I like Hostgator hosting, you will too.

    http://formula1site.com/formula1forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7874

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, This is an awesome blog.Continue to keep up the very good operate. I completely enjoyed reading your blog. This blog will be helpful for me. I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! What an enjoyable time looking through so many sites. It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !

    Search Engine Marketing | 2012 NFL | Watch Live NFL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !

    ipad Video | Unlimited Movies | Special Effect | Forex | Stock Commissions





    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! What an enjoyable time looking through so many sites. It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !
    Search Engine Marketing|2012 NFL|Watch Live NFL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com