Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rebecca's Pinwheel Quilt

I made this quilt for my sister Rebecca. She has a large colonial style house on an acerage and I felt that this pinwheel design would suit her place well.

I was given the fabric from my sister in law, Sierra, and it just so happened that the colours went perfectly with Rebecca's house! I really enjoyed making these pinwheels using 'chain piecing' (when you feed little bits of material through your machine one after the other and then cut the threads at the end).

And here's fizzy the donkey again. Doesn't he make my quilt look good?! I put a scrappy binding on this quilt. I alternated scraps from the patterned fabric and from the backing fabric. Have I told you I like using left overs?

I hand quilted each pinwheel with cream perle cotton No. 8 (the only type of cotton I ever quilt with). I also hand quilted parallel lines around the border a few times.

5 comments:

  1. I love this design.. do you have a pattern for it?
    Your quilting is beautiful!
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ally,
    I have been thinking about whether to write the pattern for this. Its a pretty traditional design, so I figured there would be plenty of patterns very similar to this one. But if a few people were interested I could write the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very awesome Kate! I'm sure your sister just loves it!

    I made two pinwheel quilts last year - one for my mum (which I think you saw) and one for a little baby girl named Viliya. They are just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful. I have decided the only way to hand quilt (for me) is like you, to use No. 8 perle cotton.Love the look and it goes faster. Oh, and fizzy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used to like pin wheels much, but lately my feelings towards them are changing. I love the colour combo of yours. I got some aqua and yellow fat quarters for christmas. I think I'm going to use them for that. I love your stuff by the way. I love that you're an Aussie too! Like me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com