Sunday, February 28, 2010

Folksy Flannels decisions

I was keen to whip up this little baby quilt last night using Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannels. I kept the design simple to appreciate each of the fabrics. I cut them all out and arranged them on the bed, and then asked my husband Todd what he thought.

He thought it needed a little white strip in between each patterned fabric. Well, that's not what I wanted to hear. Once I get started on a project I want it finished yesterday (I'm so impatient). I don't know anyone around here who sells white flannel at the moment - we are in the middle of summer after all. So I would have to buy it from the states and wait 2 weeks for it to arrive.

I do like the white in between. The question is, is it worth the wait?


PS. I drew these diagrams with EQ6 just to get an idea of what it would look like either way.

10 comments:

  1. Blueberries sells plain white flannel Kate.. its $13 per metre and I love the quilt!! those fabrics are so pretty

    Ally
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the white because it allows each of the fabrics to stand out on its own. lets be honest though, looks good either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth and I like the white. Right now you need to delay gratification - sacrifice something good now for something better later. Be strong Katie. You can do it! Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the white. Your hubby has a good eye. If I asked my hubby for his opinion, he just wouldn't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the white is perfect. Why does it have to be flannel? A white cotton would work and add an additional texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think your husband is right, but i wouldn't want to wait either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just hate it when your husband is right about something? Although, I'm impressed with your husband's design sensibility. My husband would not have had a clue! LOL. I like the way the white frames each fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, the white strips that you are thinking of adding are quite narrow. Why not go for a truly modern and brave choice and try some Kona white. It might just set off the wonderful texture of the flannel plus feed your "get it done today" thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate,
    Do the white stripes have to be flannel...maybe a textural change would be good too, like cotton or chenille :)
    Lucky you though, my DH would be NO help :)
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. and now the world knows the true creative genious behind kate conklin designs... move over babe - here comes todd conklin designs "and co" (that's you - the "co" bit)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com