Saturday, February 20, 2010

Found some flea market fancy!

I had a fabulous day with my cousin-in-law Becky, browsing the stalls at the Newcastle Expo. She is 36 weeks pregnant, but since she's just as crazy about quilting as me, we stayed from opening to closing. Becky took a couple of pictures of my quilts hanging up, so I'll post them when I get them. It was very exciting to see my quilts on show. Thanks Maru for putting them out there. It was lovely to meet you today.

I just couldn't go past these gorgeous Folksy Flannels from Anna Maria Horner. I've been eyeing them off for a while now, they're just so adorable. My favourite is the little houses at the bottom. Becky bought the 'boy' colours and I bought the 'girl' ones. Wouldn't it be fun to matching baby blankets. And no, I'm not pregnant ... yet.

And look what I found, some Flea Market Fancy charm packs. I picked up three, but I will probably only need 2 packs for a little quilt, so I'm trying to decide what to do with the third pack... stay posted.

I've seen these sock monkeys around the place and have resisted up until now. Can you see those red lips ready to go. I've just got to tear myself away from my quilting for long enough to try something new.

Speaking of something new, I met Sarah London, and she was so nice. It's so cool to meet people that you've only seen on the net. We had a great chat and when I got home I checked out her blog. Now I wish I had bought the cute granny squares pack she was selling. I didn't realise the crochet hook was purple! Her blog is really worth a look.

I also met Monica Poole from Moon-Shine Designs. She was really lovely and so encouraging. Its great to meet people that have been in the business for a while. Monica is an expert at 'quilt as you go' quilts, so you don't have to wrestle your entire quilt under the machine. Jenelle from Pieces to Treasure was another local person that I got to chat to. She runs quilting retreats just down the road from me on a beautiful rural property. Sounds nice, doesn't it.
Don't you just love these owls (another Saffron Craig treasure). I had to find some matching fabric. That brown spot just does the trick I think. But I'm not sure whether to add red owls into the mix. I've added some red ginkgo blossom to see how it would look, as I didn't have any red owls on hand.

Anybody who knows me knows that I'm the worst decision maker. So what do you think? Red or no red? Now that I see the picture, I'm thinking no red. But sometimes pictures don't show up colour properly ... am I rambling?

11 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time! How fun! I could use one of those days too. Lots of goodies and wonderful people. I think that I like it without the red best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh FMF charm packs?! Lucky you! I just love Denyse Schmidt so much ad I'm hoarding all of my FMF until I can think of something really great to use it for!

    Hmmm, red or no red? That's a hard decision. I've never used read in any of my quilts, but I've seen some using the red and aqua combination and they're gorgeous, but with the brown too I'm really not sure. Apparently we can be bad decision makers together, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE all the new AMF fabrics, but haven't been able to think of a good excuse to buy some yet! Just give me time :). I can't believe you found FMF!!! What a find!

    I'm kind of liking the red -- but maybe I just love that fabric. Hmmm. But, it you take a look at that FMF, I see brown, aqua, and red.... Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, if you're going for super-mellow "ahhhh" kind of quilt, then no red.

    But I think the red adds some visual intrigue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,

    Can't wait to see what you come up with. I think it looks good without the red, but the red sure gives it some zing...

    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the brown and aqua. But I agree with wishes kind and true about the FMF, so maybe brown, red, aqua and a touch of yellow.

    Wait a minute: FMF charm packs????!!!!!

    ....okay, I'm calm again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sounds like you had a terrific day Kate so much fun. Thanks for showing all your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should add I don't think you don't need to decide now- see how the quilt grows. I do love the brown spots though yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds!! (and I'm with everyone else who'd be over the moon to find FMF charm packs - so fun!)

    I like the little bit of red in there... maybe just use a little for a bit of a surprise and a little extra interest? Whatever you decide will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could have come with you to the Newcastle Expo - it sounded like so much fun meeting other designers. We must be related ... I am just as indecisive as you ... I'm 50:50 when it comes to the red or no red. I like them both.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com