Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My weighloss plan - More Quilting

After Sarah was born I just snapped back into shape in a matter of weeks, however, when Dane came along I found it hard to shake those extra kilos. Almost a year ago I joined the gym. I only wanted to lose about 5kg and tone up. I was very dedicated and went 5 days a week for 2 months. I worked hard at the gym but I didn't change my eating habits. You can imagine my dismay when I gained a couple of kilos, and it wasn't just extra muscle - I was finding it increasingly difficult to fit into my clothes. Anyway, I called it quits, transferred my gym membership to Todd and forgot about it.
This morning I woke up and out of the blue decided to weigh myself - well I'm 4kg lighter than I was. I've decided its all due to my quilting because:
  1. I can't eat and quilt at the same time
  2. I expend lots of nervous energy doing stippling (it hasn't got any easier)
  3. By the time I've spent all evening quilting, I'm too tired to snack, so I just go to bed.

So I've decided that quilting is FAR more effective than the gym (hehe).

I had a wonderful day today. My morning at work (I work 4 days/wk as a speech pathologist) was busy and so I treated myself to lunch at Ken Duncan's gorgeous art gallery surrounded by trees and birds. While I was waiting for my chicken caesar salad I made myself at home on the couch (surrounded by the most beautiful photographs) and finished off the binding for a new design I have been working on (I'll show you soon). Now that's the life!

Here's a picture from the show on the weekend.

Sarah London was also kind enough to snap some pictures of my quilts at the show, and do a little write up. She is having a great giveaway at the moment, so head over there - it finishes this Friday.

My friend, Ally, who works at my local quilting store - Blueberries - was also at the show. Their stand was really cute with a beach theme going on. Stop in at her blog and say 'hi'. I hear she may be planning a giveaway too.

Lastly, a couple of days ago "Handmade Kids" posted my idea about kids making quilts. They have a great website with tonnes of wonderful ideas for handmade stuff for kids, so it was cool to be featured.

P.S. Thanks for your comments on adding the red to the owl quilt. I think I'll get some of the red owls and then decide as I work on it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, your quilts showed off so beautifully at the show. I was going to make that "There's a Square in There" baby quilt for my friend, but she lost her baby at 7 months. Just heartbreaking! I pray I have the opportunity to make a baby quilt for her one day.

    Quilting may get in the way of eating, but working gets in the way of quilting. I run a pediatric treatment study group once a month and after working all day yesterday and then last night's meeting on traumatic brain injuries in children, I'm exhausted. Or maybe it's this cold I've just acquired. It's 6:14 a.m., and I'm trying to decide if I can patch myself together and go to work or if I should go back to bed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, work definitely DOES get in the way of quilting. And why is I still find time to eat? I'm going to a quilting retreat this weekend in the mountains. From Thursday at 1 p.m. to Sunday at 2 p.m. sewing non stop. With my best friends. And people feed us...

    ...which may be a good thing or a not-so-good thing. I'm taking my fairy hearts quilt kit. And I'm sure I'll get a lot of questions about the so-cute pattern and where I got the fabulous fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com