Thursday, February 4, 2010

not bad for a 3 year old

You know the blocks I showed you about a week ago, the ones my little Sarah cut and designed and I ironed on - well I framed each "picture", added white sashing and borders and bound it in red.

I'm so happy with how it turned out and so is Sarah.

Now she'll be able to give this quilt to her Aunty Leia for a baby present. I think its nice that the new baby girl will have a quilt from her cousin.

I stippled it pretty closely to try to keep all the bits and pieces in place. Not sure how it will hold up in the wash, but I suppose we'll see soon.


Sarah picked all the fabric that went into this quilt, including the backing and binding. I was planning on using a spotty fabric for the binding but Sarah insisted on the solid red. And now that its on, I know she made the right choice ... that's my girl :)

I asked Sarah to sew a few stitches on with red cotton (she does lovely neat stitches) but she told me that the quilt was already sewn and finished ... and that was the end of that.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this quilt. I am currently making my first ever quilt & if it turns out then I am so going to steal this idea cuase Olivia is really interested in what I am doing on the sewing machine. Good job Sarah XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I have a dream, and that dream is be able to stipple, please teach me to stipple one day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! What a clever little pumpkin.. hey we should try organise a sewing date? and I have a little man that would love to play with Sarah.. Ally xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristie, stippling is my dream as well! So what about it, Kate?

    And the quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love this quilt -- from the idea of it to the finish! It's just wonderful and so meaningful.

    joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no stippling expert. On this quilt I doubled over my stitching in a few places. There's some great tutorials out there for free motion quilting, but maybe I'll write a post sharing a couple of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your girl has great taste. THat's fabric from Sandy Klop's "Happy Camper's" line. She is American Jane for Moda. And I'm her machine quilter. All I do is stipple-ALMOST EVERY SINGLE QUILT SHE MAKES. I stumbled upon your blog today while at my office job here in California and love it! I just bought and downloaded your "There's A Square in There" pattern and can't wait to make the baby version for a friends newborn son.
    I'm so happy to meet you and I'll be following you on my bloglist!
    Congrats on the magazine- that is a great thrill :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little girl has a great choice in color combination. This is looking really nice. To get the involve child into needle work it is risky i think but we can take them for fabric collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. I have tons of scraps that my kids could play with and this method saves me the anxiety of a sewing injury.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com