Thursday, April 1, 2010

Map of the States - quick sticks

If you haven't been to Oh Fransson's site you're seriously missing out. I loved her 'Map of the States' block (you can find her tutorial here) but I just didn't have the patience to cut out individual wonky squares. So I figured out a way to 'stack and slash' my way through this one, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I made almost 12 of these in an evening (okay, a late evening).

The bonus with this method is its really fast and I think its pretty 'random' looking without having to make too many decisions. Just stack the fabric and cut "willy nilly!" No two of the same fabrics will touch.

The possible limitations are that you're using largish peices of fabric, not scraps, and you have to make about 10 to 12 blocks at a time that will look similar. Also, you can't fussy cut the squares.

I just love how Denyse Schmidt's Hope Valley fabric looks on this block. Her small prints lend itself so well to this type of block. I spoke with Elizabeth from Oh Fransson and she gave me permission to post a tutorial on how I put this together, so hopefully I'll get to it soon. Thanks Elizabeth - love your design!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome. I did Elizabeth's Map of the States the other night--just one block, and I love how it turned out but it took a while. So I'm anxious for this tutorial and I'm glad you figured how to speed the process up just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this :) looks good as always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block looks great -- especially with those Hope Valley prints! I'll be waiting for that tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for Stacking & Slashing. How clever of you to use a much simpler technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the block Kate! So great that it takes a fraction of the time. Can't wait to see the tutorial.
    X Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate!

    I just landed on your blog and I am in love! Very inspiring & modern.

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kate, I just went to the Fresh Modern Quilts flickr group and saw that you have donated a pattern to the giveaway. Very generous and very cool!
    X Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome! I love her fabrics too...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't wait to see how you did this!! i did a the map of the states block for a bee i'm in and it seriously took me hours!! uggh!! love the way they look, and am sew excited you figured out an easy peasy way!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com