Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Gathered In"

I was planning on waiting until the Down Under Quilts magazine came out, but I've decided to show you my "Gathered In" quilt a week early to coincide with Blogger's Quilt Festival.  Down Under Quilts magazine is one of my favourites and so I'm extra excited that my quilt will be appearing on the front cover! I'm over the moon!! I don't think I'll quite believe it until I see it in real life.

This quilt uses a stack and slash method that I like so much - really easy - just stack the plain and patterned squares, cut the little square out through all layers, rearrange them and sew them back together. One of the inspirations for this quilt came from Ashley from Film in the Fridge - I loved her sunny squares quilt and the way the rectangle in the middle floated around from square to square. When I came to arranging the blocks on the quilt I was planning on alternating the little plain square blocks and little patterened blocks, but my husband Todd suggested this arrangement so all the little squares are 'gathered in' to the centre and seem to float about (thanks honey!).

The little centre squares were outline quilted the perle cotton no. 8 in red and the border was machine quilted in a meandering line avoiding the little plain squares. I used the lovely Rouenneries fabric by French General, and as this one is going to a friend as a gift, I am in the middle of making another one with the new Rural Jardin fabric.

So if you live in Australia keep an eye out for it, and if not, I'll post a picture of the front cover as soon as I can.

Enjoy checking out all the other quilts at..


30 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I luv the colours and the randomness of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity and arrangement of light in the center and pattern on the edges. Great fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is Todd going start asking for commission LOL. I love this quilt working on my one in green tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I surfed in from the Bloggers Quilt Festival, and while this quilt is lovely, I was immediately distracted by the Sierra's Forest Quilt on your sidebar. WOW. Gorgeous fabric in just the perfect design to show it off. Simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so wonderful. It will sell many magazines for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic all finished off, I have only seen Kristie's in stages :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautifully done Kate! I love these simple quilts that turn out just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, as always, this is a really beautiful quilt. My husband has given me excellent designs ideas as well, and I love it when he is involved in the design process. Congratulations on being a "cover girl." You know I'm a huge fan of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! What a GORGEOUS quilt! I love the "informality" (for lack of a better brain to come up with a better word) of the block design and the formality of the French General fabrics. A match made in heaven!! I'll look forward to the mag!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate you are so talented and have such a great eye for colour and shape and movement in a quilt. I'm just in awe of your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful and simple congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a beautiful quilt...I am going to have to look up the stack and whack method...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I say I love them all, but I love this quilt too! You are so talented Katie. I'm also a fan of the Rouenneries fabric, so it's perfect. I can't wait to see it on the front cover. Congratulations!
    XO Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Katie - this is beautiful, you are very talented and i cant wait to see your "stuff" on the cover of a magazine!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Rouenneries fabric looks gorgeous in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Kate: Wonderful news to hear about you being a Cover Girl. You are so talented and clever. I love you dearly. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's beautiful! Congratulations on being the 'cover girl'! I also love Rouenneries and just yesterday started cutting my quilt - so exciting!! Have just come across your patterns for the first time at Addicted to Fabric in Canberra and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Katie
    I know you already gave me a lovely quilt but could I please have one of every quilt you've ever designed? I really like this new one too. I'll be trawling the newsagencies looking for it on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely quilt-how exciting to be on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks so lovely and soft! Congrats on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It seems so soft and pretty. Really nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Red is my favorite color... I love this quilt! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum, yum, yum. Love how you made the border. How good is that French General fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a beautiful quilt; I just LOVE that Rouenneries line! I've been coveting it for awhile now :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, covergirl! Lovely quilt - be sure I'll come back!

    ReplyDelete
  27. a lovely quilt!! feels old fashioned and looks so comfy!! the floating little squares are wonderful. thanks for sharing and congratulations on being published--wow!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com