Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sierra's Forest

I fell in love with Saffron Craig's Elk Landscape (from her brand new Forest Elementals range) as soon as I saw it - a serene wilderness of majestic creatures in rich magenta and gold. To me the design has a scandinavian feel and being half Finnish I was really drawn to it.


I wanted to showcase the panel as a piece of artwork hanging on a wall, or as a scene viewed through panes of a window.   The stripes above and below respresent the dense forest with elk, birds and geese peeping through.



Stunning fabric isn't it!


The free form stack and slash method of construction makes the strips quick and easy to put together and I love that wonky look.


The back features the striking Birds on Leaves fabric with slightly wonky strip piecing down the side. I also brought in the gorgeous pink and yellow dandelions from Saffron's Fields range - so soft and pretty.



I tried machine quilting white wavy lines across it at varying intervals and then hand quilting around the blocks in Perle Cotton No. 8 in purple, and I'm so pleased with the result.


I love the way the black Birds on Leaves fabric frames the quilt.


My husband's younger sister, Sierra, was awestruck the moment she saw it and I was powerless against her exclamation of "That's the most amazing quilt I've ever seen!" (you don't get that reaction everyday), hence it became "Sierra's Forest".

The pattern will be available soon and you can purchase Saffron Craig's Fabric from her shop

21 comments:

  1. wow kate, this is my favorite quilt I have seen in a long time. it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! You've showcased Saffron's fabric perfectly!!! I never want to cut up gorgeous prints like "Elk Landscape", so I love how you've used this print. I'll be buying this pattern for sure!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you do it? How do you work, look after kids & home and churn out quilts as stunning as that. I love it. I also ADORE the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So stunning. I have plenty of the new fabric you used on the back, plus the pink and yellow. You and Saffron are a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning fabric and absolutely stunning quilt. I love the quilt design, it is perfect for that fabric. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is stunning. Would you consider putting it together as a kit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they had Academy Awards for quilting you and Saffron would have to win the Best Quilt of 2010 Oscar for Sierra's Forest. Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely gorgeous!! i LOVE it!! i'm usually not a fan of purple, but that makes me want to make a quilt with lots of purple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible use of the fabric! Really, really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous design! I love how it lets you really admire a lovely large scale design like that one. And the hand quilting is a perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely extraordinarily beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE IT!! What a gorgeous quilt. Purple is my favorite color...and these fabrics are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sierra is absolutely over the moon about this quilt!! She said "I can't believe she actually called it Sierra's Forest!!" So you have definitely won some brownie points there!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! You have some lovely quilts; I'm going to have to start following you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha it is bizarre seeing my name being mentioned by people i do not know, i cannot wait until i finally have that quilt on my bed. See? did i not tell you people would love it? anyway i am proud of you :)
    love you xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm in the US and was wanting to get the pattern for this quilt but I'm not sure about the exchange rate, any help would be awesome. Thanks, and may I say you have some beautiful quilts, I hope that I can one day quilt as beautifully as you. My e-mail is faith_werks@yahoo.com thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous, and I think my Oh, Deer fabric would look nice in this pattern! EEP!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com