Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thanks Mum!

  • for allowing us (my 6 siblings and I) into your sewing box (even though we never returned everything) 
  • for patiently teaching us to knit while we dropped stitch after stitch
  • for showing us how to be thrifty while at the same time nurturing out creative spirit
  • for giving us free reign of the pantry to make up our own recipes (remember that cake that we added beans to that the dog wouldn't even touch?)
  • for filling our home with books of every kind and instilling in us a love of learning
  • for putting up with the mess that comes with experimentation (and for teaching us to clean up again)
  • for giving us free reign of the video camera to make home murder mystery movies!
  • for encouraging us to practice the piano until we felt the thrill of it
  • for making us believe we're wonderful and lovable and clever
You put your heart and soul into us. You were happiest being a mum and we felt it. This was one of your favourite poems I think.
 
You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)

I love you mum so much. Happy Mother's Day.

6 comments:

  1. What a cute little chubby bubs Mum was. Can you imagine Mum when she was toddling around saying cute things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! And doesn't grandad look like a doting dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we have a pretty special Mum!
    XO Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a wonderful read. Beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post Kate. Brought tears to my eyes. Love to all xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com