Saturday, July 17, 2010

The story of my logo

A few of you may have noticed that my site has had a little make over, with a new logo and links to pages across the top. I thought you may be interested in hearing how my little birdy logo came to be (its only taken me 2 months to blog about it!) . Just to jog your memory this photo was on the old header.


I wanted something clean and simple looking that linked back to Australia somehow (without using koalas or kangaroos). My friend Jana (who's a graphic artist) was really helpful in brainstorming ideas and doing sketches (thanks heaps Jana!), but I really didn't know what I wanted at that stage. Then one day Saffron and I spent the day at Taronga Zoo with our daughters, and I saw an Australian bird cracking an emu egg open by picking up a rock and hitting it repeatedly with a rock. I was amazed that a bird would know how to use a rock as a tool to go after an egg that was so big and difficult to crack, and I thought this would be a great starting point for my logo - representing creativity, progessiveness, thinking big and persistence.

So with this in mind I had a go at drawing up my own logo, and here's what I came up with (the only way I could figure out how to draw the bird was in one sweeping motion with my mouse, so it was a bit tricky to include the rock too).


I tried to pretty it up a bit.


I then spoke to another graphic designer - Sarah Baron - who nurtured my idea and improved upon it. Two hours after speaking to her she sent through these roughs (among others) and gave me the idea to use a needle to crack the egg as the needle is my 'tool' (and the egg represents big ideas and dreams). She was amazing and I'd highly recommend her - thanks Sarah!



















In the end my dad (who is also a graphic designer) came up with the final logo picture and I love it - thanks dad!

So now you know the story of my logo and what it means to me. I think that even if you didn't know the story, it would still be a pretty logo:)

*****

My friend Ally is having her first big giveaway on her blog, so head on over to see if you can snag yourself a huge pile of fabric!

And welcome to everyone who has come over from Kaye's blog . For those of you who haven't heard yet, she's having a massive giveaway each day to celebrate her 2 year bloggiversary - you wont want to miss this one!

18 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful logo & I enjoyed hearing about it's creation.
    Thank you
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your logo too. the robins egg color is wonderful. so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again. have u considered joining the quilting world on twitter. we been waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luv the symbolism and it is pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Kate and I love the story behind it!

    P.S. Your giveaway has now been posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, it is a great creative process! I think it's wonderful your Dad was in the final design, it will make it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see the whole design process. I think your logo is perfect. I love it.
    XO Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new logo. It is simple & complex in a bundle of elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so cool Kate! Thanks for sharing the story behind the graphic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a magical moment, cleaver too. So lovely that you will be reminded of that moment whenever you see your logo. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had always loved looking at the quilt in your original logo. The story behind your new logo is amazing and interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing that process and the story of inspiration, too. I love your birdie logo and the meaning behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the logo and hearing about it's creation. The process behind any creative endeavor is always very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely to hear the story behind, the process of and to see the evolution of your logo. It's so clean and simple yet speaks volumes. Love it!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it all Kate - the new look blog and your logo is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your work I've heard so many good things about you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com