Monday, August 2, 2010

Straight line quilting

Heather was right... straight line quilting is addictive. I absolutely loved putting together this little quilt. The fabric was just so soft, and paired with super soft bamboo/cotton batting it was a pleasure to work with. This is my first time quilting in straight lines, and it was so easy. Its the kind of project you can just turn your brain off and enjoy sewing away at great speed!


They're just 5in charm squares randomly put together with some solids. The is one of Ashley's designs (from Film in the Fridge)  and she does them so well. There's something lovely and patchworky about combining simple squares. I'd like to make a full sized version one day.




I wanted to keep this one super soft so I went for a whole back


Look, the fish are swimming down stream.


Have you tried straight line quilting and if so, how far apart did you make your lines? Mine varied 1/4in to 1in, but mainly about 3/4in I think.

Addit: It was easy quilting a baby sized version, but I'm not sure how I'd go with a larger quilt. I can see it would take quite a while to quilt, and it would be a lot harder to wrangle it under the machine. Especially since you need to change the end you start from each time. I'll let you know how I go.

16 comments:

  1. You're right, these quilts are so lovely and Ashley does them so well - putting the solids in is the magic trick and yours is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love those fishies swimming down stream. I've only tried straight line quilting on small projects and I used approx 1/2 inch space between my lines. I want to try it on a larger quilt though. You've inspired me.
    XO Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate i absolutely LOVE it!! It looks so beautiful! I finally finished off my brown bear quilt today and it was such a pleasure to just sit and sew!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a lovely fun quilt. I've done wavy lines, using a programed stitch on my machine, about 2 inches apart. Takes longer than straight but it is a nice variation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the look. I haven't tried straight line quilting yet but I'm intrigued and yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those fish swimming downstream on the back are just crazy cute! When I straight line quilt I often just line up the edge of my walking foot with the last line of stitching, so I'd say the lines end up being about 3/8" apart or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great!

    I have done straight line quilting on a large quilt and it turned out beautifully but I can't say that I enjoyed it LOL! I varied my lines anywhere from 1/4in to 1.5in.

    I love your mix of fabrics; the solids really make the quilt!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the straight lines to be about 1cm apart. But not perfectly so...some slightly bigger, some smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a cute quilt and the little fishies on the back are adorable. While I still haven't tried free motion quilting, I think I could do straight line. I'll give it a shot...

    ReplyDelete
  10. fantastic Kate!!! i really love the fish swimming down stream!! heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow great colours, it look so striking. I tried straight line quilting and it was really wonky as the quilt was heavy and pulled me off course. You have done a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this quilt Kate. I have only used 1/4 in apart but not the whole quilt. Like you said to me the other day it would make the quilt quite stiff if you used it all over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make it look so easy Kate! I just finished quilting mine like this, lines where about half an inch to 3/4ths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. really really cute Kate! I can just imagine how soft it is! Love that straight line quilting too!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like it, very simple but just enough interest. I have to say the back is my favorite....makes me want to swim with fishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, the fish are lovely...always in the summer when fish are around....as for me....fish...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com