Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fairy Hearts magazine correction

Unfortunately I've discovered an error with my "Fairy Hearts" pattern published in Australian Patchwork Quilting Annual 2010 (issue 19/5). The correction has been published on their website HERE.

"The AP&Q team takes a lot of care to ensure project instructions are correct. Sometimes errors and omissions do occur. We have discovered an error in the quantity of one of the fabrics in the materials list for Fairy Hearts by Kate Conklin. It should be 70cm of Fairy Circles print instead of the 60cm as advised."


I've been doing some recalculations to see if the pattern can work with 60cm of the "Fairy Circles" fabric. This is what I've come up with:
If you cut the 6 binding strips just a little thinner - 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2" wide you will JUST have enough. I actually prefer slightly thinner bindings on my quilts and now cut my binding 2 1/4" wide on most of my quilts (although I still put 2 1/2" on my patterns as that seems to be the 'accepted' way of doing things). You'll need to cut carefully though as there is no room for error.


Unfortunately, if you've already cut into your "Fairy Circles" fabric, you've probably realised that after cutting the six 2 1/2" binding strips and two 2 1/2" strips for the nine patch, you wont have enough left over for the hearts. So, if you've done this you'll need to purchase another 5" strip for the hearts.

I have a small amount of the Fairy Circles fabric, so if you're really stuck please email me and I may be able to send you some fabric to get you through.

Please note, only the pattern in the magazine contains this error. My Fairy Hearts pattern that can be purchased on this site and a number of other quilting stores contain the correct fabric requirements.

3 comments:

  1. Oh bummer! But I was going to say... like you said... I like my bindings narrow and I always cut my strips 2 1/4".

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, that's too bad, but I'm sure anyone making that beauty would be more than happy to buy more fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn it! So nice of you to help try to work it out for us! LOVE that pattern!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com