Saturday, September 4, 2010

It makes all the difference

The baby's doing great and that's the most important thing - as for me, well, there's the constant feeling of queasiness, tiredness, re-emergence of post viral fatigue, sore throat, sick kids, husband only home on weekends, can't stand chocolate (that's the kicker!)... need I go on? But do you know what?... I'm doing great. I'll tell you what makes all the difference:

A simple email asking how I'm doing and wanting a real answer
Women from church bringing meals when they have busy families of their own
Sisters and sister-in-laws who take the kids for a few hours so I can nap
Having extra time to snuggle my children (I've been doing some Rocking Chair Therapy)
A husband who cleans the whole house and does all the washing on his weekend home
The next door neighbour who brings gingerbread cake and takes out my bins
A tonne of encouraging comments
Knowing so many of you have been here and done it all before (and knowing its all for a good cause)

It makes all the difference in the world. I'm a very lucky girl.

Last week I had to finish a quilt for a magazine (a commitment I made before I found out I was pregnant). To say it was challenging getting it all finished in time is an understatement, but fortunately its done now and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I can't show you the front, but here's the back. Now remember when I said that I really enjoyed straight line quilting (here)... well I've changed my mind :) It takes a bit longer on a larger quilt. This took me about 8 hours to quilt! Does it take you guys that long? 


You can see it pulled a little bit on the back. It didn't pull so much on the front, but I'm still glad I started at a different end each time or it would have really dragged the quilt design.


I'll have to try straight line quilting again when I'm feeling a little more sprightly, because I do like the effect.

Addit: I wasn't sure about the orange when I was first putting the back together, but I really like it now its all finished.


Note: Quilt measures 60" x 60" and I used Kona Cotton Solids and Hope Valley prints by Denyse Schmidt. The straight(ish) lines range from 1/4" to 1" apart.

27 comments:

  1. That's great to hear all's well and you've got lots of support. The quilt back looks wonderful!- the front must be equally stunning. I machine quilted a whole quilt for the first time this week- I find it really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that orange!

    I wish you continued success with the pregnancy...man, I hate feeling sick, I can't imagine how you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Kate...another one in PRINT! xxx and you know i LOVE the orange!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there's any "up" side to hard times, it's that the kindness of others really shines! I'm so glad to hear that you're being showered with love right now!

    Great quilt back . . . I've never seen Hope Valley laid out like that before and it looks really cool! Straight line quilting takes me a long time too, but I've never tried free motion so I don't have anything to compare it to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! The orange is a perfect compliment to the fabric line. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to hear you are doing well. this quilt is so beautiful. i think the orange was such an excellent call!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a few more weeks and you'll be feeling like a brand new Kate! So happy to hear baby is doing well.
    If that's the back, can't wait to see the front! Something about that white strip intersecting the rainbow is so cool. But don't even talk to me about straight quilting - so far I detest doing it. Looks great on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if the back is that spectacular, I can't wait to see the front! Love the orange!
    Speaking of which, have you tried cutting a fresh orange/lemon/lime and just inhaling the citrus scent. It's a short lived effect, but it seems to clear the nausea for a moment. Good luck Kate and hang in - it's wonderful to hear you've got so much support in your community (both local and online!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good that you have such a varied support network, I hope you start feeling better soon so you can enjoy it a bit more!
    Love the quilt, can't wait to see the front!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back looks great. eagerly waiting to see the front. What a wonderful community you live in. Its wonderful to have such wonderful family and neighbours. i miss living close to my family, sometimes a lot. But on the plus side we get very cheap holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the back and can't wait to see the front! Well done getting it all done in time, that can't have been easy! So glad all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, if that's the back I can't wait to see the front! So glad to hear the bub is growing well but sorry that you're feeling so yuck - hopefully in a few weeks you'll reach that 'blooming' phase. Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear you're hanging in there, even if it's without the solace of chocolate! The quilt is beautiful - I love straight line quilting, but it is tedious! I just did a quilt combining both straight line and FMQ - it gave me a nice break, plus I got the look of both! Kind of a sampler quilt!! Anyway, I can't wait to see the front of this quilt when it is published - be sure and let us know when it comes out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the back is amazing, cant wait to see the front!
    have you already been asked what kona orange you used?

    best wishes for some speedy healthy weeks until you are feeling well again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah Kate - I totally thought that was the front of the quilt and think it looks AWESOME!!!! Looking forward to seeing the big reveal of the front, although I know that i will probably be awhile with magazine publishing :)

    So glad you have so much support and help at the moment. Sending speedy "get rid of morning sickness" vibes your way.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you are doing well despite feeling sick! I love the quilt. I straight line quilted a quilt that size and it took me every bit of 8 hours too. It's very tedious! But your quilt is also very beautiful...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the orange!! Not like, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the back???! Wow. It's really beautiful Kate and can't wait to see the front in print.... woo hoo!
    So pleased all is going good xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm quilting a 68x76 right now and it's very hard because it's so big to me at least!! My lines aren't completely straight either, but hey who notices right-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the orange and the straight line quilting looks great. I'm glad you're being well looked after. Hope you feel better soon XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have done a really good job on the quilt as usual Kate,it looks great. The orange is so perfect for a hot summer. Phew to all that machine stitching. I am impressed! I hope you treat yourself to a massage. Glad to know you are supported by so many people:) Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow! I adore this quilt! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This one's beautiful Kate! Lots of love. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the orange on the back. Of course, I love that color to begin with...I even drive an orange auto! Thank you for your blog about being real. Thinking of you from across the pond! Your post made me smile...and that made me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sad to hear that chocolate is making you sick...I had the same reaction when I was pregnant with my daughter, and to my total dismay, my love of chocolate (and shrimp) has never returned. I know it's such a small price to pay for a beautiful and (most importantly) healthy baby. I love the back of your quilt. Straight line quilting takes me quite a bit of time also, but i love it so! I loosen up the tension on my foot when doing lines to help avoid the pulling...it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous and I LOVE myself some straight line quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com