Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pulla

One of my favourite childhood memories is the smell of freshly baked pulla as I wallked in the back door after school. Pulla is a delicious Finnish sweet bread  and the spice that sets it apart from other sweet bread is cardamom.  My dad's Finnish, and mum learnt how to cook it early on, a family tradition I want to continue. I haven't shared a recipe before, but as I was cooking it yesterday I decided I'd like to share, so I snapped a couple of pics...


This recipe is for my sister Rebecca's version of cinnamon scrolls pulla (you can also just leave it plain and plait it if you like) - makes 24

125g Butter
375mls (1 1/2cups) Milk
 1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1tsp Ground Cardamom
2 eggs
1 Tbsp Dried Yeast
4 cups Plain Flour
Cinnamon
Sultanas
Brown Sugar
Extra butter
Egg for glazing

Heat milk until hot but not boiling. Add butter. When butter is melted add sugar, salt and cardamom.
Add eggs and mix well (mixture should still be warm at this stage)
Add yeast and 1/2 cup of flour. Mix well and leave for five minutes.
Add rest of flour until dough forms a ball.
Cover and wait in warm place (in winter I put mine on my electric blanket!) until dough has doubled in size (about 1 hour)
Punch down dough. (If there's time, rise again for 30 minutes). Turn out onto floured sidboard and knead (for about 5 minutes)


Divide dough into two portions.
Roll dough into large rectangle, smear with soft butter, sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and dried fruit (I just use sultanas),


roll up and cut into about 12 slices. Repeat with other half of dough.


Place in greased muffin tins and leave in warm place to rise about 20 minutes.


Glaze by brushing with beaten egg
Cook in moderately hot over (190C or 375F) for about 15 - 20 minutes.
Drizzle icing made from 1 1/2cups icing sugar mixed with about 1 1/2 Tbsp water.

P.S. They look a little more yellow than normal because I used our chicken eggs in the recipe and for some reason the yolks in our eggs are really really yellow! But I can assure you they were delicious (as you can see I'm getting my tastebuds back - yay).

Oh, and by the way, my sister Amelia is having her very first giveaway of some really cute fabric over at Stitch 'n' Bits!

12 comments:

  1. Yummy! I wish I was near you right now so that I could scab some (maybe then I could forgive you for the carpet burn ;p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so yummy! You must be feeling at least a little better to be baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! I can taste it from here ... looks so good and plenty of icing! my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo yummo. i can almost smell them.... ;) thanks for sharing the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm! so going to try these. love that they are cooked in a muffin tray too - how cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think now is the right time to tell you that I have always been envious of the fact that all you guys get to eat Pulla & I had no idea how to make it. So thanks for sharing this, it is one of the first things I am going to cook as soon as I get an oven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great kate... i hope they are on a plate waiting to be delivered to your best friend....ME!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you answer a question for me? What makes cardamom Finnish? I made a braided Finnish raisin bread. And the unique ingredients was cardamom. It always intrigued me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fabulous, thanks for the recipe and the link to your sisters blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much for this recipe kate... they are gorgeous little buns! i just made some... my gusty baby belly demolished more than i care to admit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com