Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bird Tree baby quilt

I've made another baby quilt using Saffron Craig's pretty Bird Tree range. The little stack of delicious green, purple and pink fabric has been crying out to me from the shelf for a while now. I've also added in the gorgeous black Birds on Leaves fabric from her Forest Elementals range - it just goes so perfectly. I've been wanting to try this design for a while as well, ever since I made Sierra's Forest actually. I loved the jagged white edges on Sierra's Forest, so I tried making it jagged on both the top and bottom edges. It reminds me of those 'stacked books' quilts but with angled strips of varying thicknesses.


Using a stack and slash method meant it didn't use any templates and was super quick to put together. I love how it turned out and am keen to make a bigger sized one.

As always I'm undecided on how to quilt this. Some of the options I've tossed up so far are:
  • machine quilting in an all over loopy design
  • machine quilting in horizontal straight lines and then hand quilting in between each line
  • machine quilting in horizontal wavy lines and then echo quilting each line with hand quilting
  • echo quilting the top and bottom jagged edge of each row (on the white) with hand quilting
  • white or pale pink thread (or deep purple if echo quilting across the jagged edge)
  • using a flannel back or pieced back (although both of these options would make it a little harder/thicker to hand quilt through)
As you can see I like combining hand and machine quilting and I'm keen to try different variations, but it does add to the decision process! In the mean time I'll just plod away with hand quilting the one I showed you in my last post (my other bird tree baby quilt), and ponder on this one a little longer.


What I'd really appreciate help with is what to name this quilt - any ideas?

Addit: My initial ideas for names are "Rocky Road" and "Thicket"

24 comments:

  1. Compliments for your blog and pictures included, I invite you to see the photo blog,
    CLICK PHOTOSPHERA

    Each week released a new album

    Greetings from Italy

    Marlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    What a gorgeous quilt! How about "wonky stacks" for a name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Kate. What about 'Bird Branch' quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. And I love the name Rocky Road :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like little slices of cake stacked :)So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of using a flannel back. Lilac would be great and maybe just one row across about a third of the way down, like on the front. I do realize it will be harder to quilt, but it would mean (as it is a baby quilt) you could use it on both sides and use the top on a summers day in the garden, or turn it around when chillier and wrap baby in the flannel (or put out on the floor in playpen etc) and know it's cuddly when needed.

    I like the idea of outline quilting. Possibly in big stitches and maybe two or three (?that might be too much..) rows in different collours so pink and lilac or lilac and purple..

    A for the machine quilting.. I can't really imagine the horizontal straight line working with the jagged piecing.. How about having a wavy line pattern through the stacks so the curves soften the jagged edges when you look at it overall?

    I like the name Rocky Road, but it would be more suited to browns/ocre/burnt oranges.. Thicket I like more as it has that overall feel of a thicket. What it reminds me off overall is the Scottish national symbol of the Thistle. Sounding a lot like Thicket too. The Thistle has those green and purple colours as well so that would match great. So I would vote for the 'TH' solution... Thicket-Thistle- Thicket of Thistles... lol... Can't find the perfect name but will keep mulling it over!

    Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd call it Birds On A Wire! and I love this design... I just won a pack of the Saffron Craig fabric from Heather's blog giveaway, and I'm looking for something cool to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about 'Wedged In' These fabrics are lovely and your design is great! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it....the colors are striking and very modern. Is there a pattern or tutorial for it? Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute. I love Saffron's fabric, particularly this color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful quilt and Saffron's fabric is so perfect for it. I love some hand stitching in addition to machine quilting - I look forward to seeing what you decide...I think stitching in the white parts would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt... love the colors... maybe Peaks and Valleys.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt... love the colors... maybe Peaks and Valleys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like "Thicket". Love this quilt! My hubby was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at your post and he commented that this quilt looks like something I would like and make... he's right!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like railroad tracks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a science teacher in the US and it looks like demonstrations I use for the different types of movement of plate tectonics.

    You could call it Tectonic Thicket, although I'm positive that that sounds like a winner because I'm so stinking wiped out after a Monday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful quilt! I like the "Peaks and Valleys" suggestions. It also reminds me of books on shelves...

    Stopping by from Crafty Girls Workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kate: I just LOVE this quilt. Can't wait for you to develop the pattern!! I love all of your ideas for quilting too. So many choices. I've never tried machine and hand quilting together. That would sure add interest and texture. You'll pick something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Hi" from crafty girl's workshop. Love your quilts and congrats on the baby bump.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous quilt! I love the colors.
    Saying HI! from Crafty Girls Workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is GORGEOUS! I just LOVE these colors together!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It reminds me of the construction pilons here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com