Thursday, October 7, 2010

Material Obsession

It was my birthday this week and to celebrate my darling husband took me to a gorgeous hotel, The Sheraton on the Park, right in the heart of Sydney. The food was amazing, the room gorgeous, and it was so nice to spend time walking through Hyde park admiring the outdoor artwork, having some adult conversation (without the kids jumping all over us).
And to top it all off the next day I visited  "Material Obsession" a wonderful fabric store brimming full of modern fabrics.  I've met Kathy a number of times at quilt and craft shows, but never managed to get to her store before. Her quilts and books (and sheer enthusiasm and energy) really drew me in a couple of years back when I first discovered quilting, and her work continues to inspire me.

I loved this cotton/linen fabric by Australian designer, Cloth. Its a little more expensive, but extra wide and screen printed for a really organic modern look - absolutely gorgeous. I'm excited to cut into this little stack of fabric.


 Another exciting discovery was Quiltlite - an open weave cotton that is used as a thin batting (I think mainly for baby quilts). Has anyone used this before? I'm looking forward to trying it on my baby quilt. I'm using flannel on the back so wanted something a bit thinner for the batting.


And I had to add to my Perle Cotton supply - you can never have too many of these.


By the way, thanks for all the great name suggestions for my new baby quilt. I'm not sure if it helped or made it harder to pick just one. I've decided on how I'm going to quilt it and am hoping the name will settle upon me as I quietly hand quilt each evening. The hand quilting is completed on the other bird tree baby quilt and I just have to finish off the binding.

Its a hard life!

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a great birthday! Looks like Todd enjoyed it too. I can't wait to see what you make with that gorgeous fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh!!! THAT looks like a fantastic birthday!! Love your new fabric too. Funnily enough I seem to glide into a pink/grey mode after my turquoise/sand mood too. Can't wait to see what you are going to do with it! Love the photos, so glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember!! i checked their site and i LOVE the roses...i remember falling in love! Your colour way you chose looks great..cant wait to see it in the flesh! xx glad you had a great overnighter! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I would give for a night away from the kids! and visiting Material Obsession - another dream! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate! Looks like fun! Your visit to Material Obsession caught my eye...I just finished a quilt from the second book. Let us know how you like the quiltlite. Sounds perfect for a baby blanket. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was your birthday this week Kate? It was my birthday too! When's yours? Happy birthday darling lady!

    Looks like you two had a wonderful time and visiting Material Obsession must have been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great birthday treat! i love your bowl of threads they look so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say that was a pretty fantastic birthday with your husband. A gorgeous stack of new fabric and perle cotton just completes the package! Happy, happy day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds {and looks} like you had a wonderful day! I've never heard of Quiltlite but it sounds very nice. I'm interested to hear how you like working with it.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, Kate! Beautiful room, handsome man. Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that hotel! That's where I stayed when I took my mom to Australia last year. Sounds like you had a great birthday! And I love your new fabric selections! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We always stay there too! Great spot & great hotel. i hope to visit MO one day...love all your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have this fantasy that one day I will live in a place that is as equally tranquil as a perfectly decorated hotel room (I type this at my desk as Poppy strangles me, squealing to be saved rom the monsters)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com