Friday, November 19, 2010

Designing a new block - the process

I've had an idea for my Far Far Away 2 fabrics ever since they were released, but am only now just getting around to playing with this beautiful fabric. So here's what I wanted in my new quilt block...


I wanted the fabrics to be fussy cut to show off the adorable characters but also incoporate the stack and slash method, so that there was no (or very little) wastage of fabric. I also wanted to avoid having to trim the blocks at the end (its not my favourite job), and I wanted to use a little bit of solids to break it up, but not too much.

So before I cut into the good stuff, I did some experimenting


Nope, too much trimming and wastage of fabric there. Lets try another way of cutting it up.



This way works better, not much wastage, but I would still have to trim the block and the little lines don't match up. Lets try making the blue a little wider.


Now that's what I'm talking about! No trimming needed at all. The other benefit of it coming together without trimming is that the outer border will look continuous (except for a little loss in the seams). So now lets try it on the real thing.


I like it. I think it will make a lovely quilt.


Anyone interested in a tutorial on how to make this pair of blocks?

I'm off to Australian Quilt Market in Melbourne this weekend - a trade only event kind of like Houston, but a smaller version (can anything be bigger than Houston?). I can't wait!

20 comments:

  1. yes I would love this tutorial! Looks fab-tastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are very cute! I love that you showed us your experimenting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tutorial! Ys, please! I can use all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes please ... I love those blocks! I hope you have a wonderful time at Quilt Market!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blocks and admire the way your brain comes up with all the ingenious ways of cutting something.. I am just the opposite, I just throw something together and the trim like mad... So I am amazed... you mean ... NO trimming? wow.... So yes please to that tutorial!

    Have a great time at quiltmarket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love a tutorial, as I have these fabrics also and have been trying to come up with a great design for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a little tutorial would be awesome. these blocks look great

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love a tutorial on this block. It would work well with so many of the "narrative" fabrics! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love a tutorial on the block. I've been waiting to cut into my Far Far Away fabric but I think this just might be the pattern that gets me to do it! Can't wait to see the entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be great to have a tutorial on this fabric. I bought a few yards and it's sitting the shelf because I don't want to cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blocks and would love a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes please on the tute!
    Have SEW much fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um...YESSSS, I would love to see a tutorial for this block!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. D-Y-I-N-G! I have a tiny stash and totally want to make these exact blocks! Would love a tutorial or even the dimensions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Kate -- A tute, please. The blocks look fabulous! I'd love to have instructions. Thanks. tobey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kate,

    Yes please a tutorial on these blocks would be wonderful.
    Love the fabric and agree it will make a deliciously beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely darling! It inspires me to do the same with my Lightning Bugs and Munki scraps I'm acquiring. I'll be using the Chasing Cottons Sand Castles pattern for my first FFA2 quilt...then maybe your pattern for my 2nd. Tute please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes please a tut would be much appreciated. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com