Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mermaiden Party!!

As I said in my last post, all the girls in the family became quite excited about Hillary Lang's Wee Wonderfuls book and were keen to make one of her adorable little dolls. Before I knew it five of us, Becky, her sister Jordy, and my sister in laws Kaila and Sierra, were gathered together on a Friday evening eating pizza and chocolate pie (and staying up way too late) to make cute little Mermaiden dolls together. We thought we'd start with something simple that we could pretty much finish in an evening.

My mermaiden doll - don't you love those squishy little hips!

We all shared one sewing machine, so things took a little longer...


Plus, there were some shenanigans.... For these two it was actually and their first time on a sewing machine (or first time in a long time). It was so exciting to see them enjoy sewing (maybe next time we can try a dolls quilt?).


We had such a fun night. I don't know why we don't do things like this more often. This photo shows where we got up to by the end of the night. They were looking like they were ready for bed!


Later on, when they were looking more respectable, it was time for a photo shoot!





She was really fun to make and fortunately she not only appears in "Wee Wonderfuls", but it is also available as a free pattern HERE. Thanks Hillary!

I think a whole mobile of little mermaids would be just adorable in the baby's room!

14 comments:

  1. So So Cute Kate!! Book another night!! What are we going to make next?? xx and LOVE the Ric Rac shell in her hair!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ... looks like you guys had so much fun! And I must say that they turned out pretty cute too! I think I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, those mermaids are adorable! I'll bet it was a lot of fun to sew them up together. And yes, a mobile of mermaids would be so darn cute for the baby! I'm downloading that pattern right now, and adding Hillary's book to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of all your mermaids in the tree -- too funny! Thanks for the link to the pattern -- looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like such a fun night. I think I'm needing a night like that right about now...and the mermaids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun! And they turned out SO cute!! All the accessories like the necklace and the flower in the hair make all the difference too. Great bunch of gals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are SO CUTE! I'm going to have to pick that book up for sure now...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous!!! How fun that you all got together to make those sweet mermaids! I love them all, but have a soft spot for the black, slightly vampy grown-up mermaid. It looks like she might be 'the mermaid to watch' in upcoming episodes of the mermaid adventures! The heart lips are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the little mermaids! Soo cute!
    Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just such a sweet post. I think they would be great as a mobile over your little ones cot. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love one with pearl earrings. She looks like the Mama of the rest, keeps them in line and fends of the undesirable mermen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute. I had to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun Katie!!! We MUST do another night soon!! Oh and I happen to think the vampish one is cute too (maybe cuz I made it???) - Halley sure loved it as her Halley-inpsired birthday present!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS the anonymous comment above is from your darling sis-in-law KAILA!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com