Thursday, November 4, 2010

Prints Charming

It was so wonderful to have my sister, Amelia (Stitch 'n' Bits), come to visit from interstate on the weekend. We chatted non stop about quilting and fabric and blogging, and we actually got some sewing done as well! On the way home from the Airport we made a special trip to Prints Charming, the work of two fabulous Australian fabric designers who print their own fabric using traditional screen printing methods (no computer in sight).  Their shop was full of inspiration, including this amazing chair (I want one of those!)...


and some gorgeous christmas decorations (if only I had the patience for embroidery).


Cath and Kirsten were so friendly. It was nice to have a bit of a chat and see where they work (rather than just seeing them at craft shows where their stand is constantly mobbed). Amelia and I wanted some hand printed love hearts and we were completely blown away when they offered to print them right then and there because they were out of stock - now that's service!! It was great to see the printing process in action and to realise how simple it really was. After a bit of a blow dry our fabric was ready to go! (Please note: I don't think they usually have the time for this sort of service, but they are usually printing something or other, so you can watch them at work). I'd love to do one of their screen printing classes one day. Wouldn't that be the ultimate - to hand print your own fabric and then turn it into a quilt!


Anyway, Amelia also brought over my birthday present, a plethera of handmade goodies, including this gorgous pot holder...


And a set of amazing cards that look like tiny quilts...






And last, but not least, Prints Charming's new book!! It has a great array of projects that incorporate your own printed fabric (ofcourse you don't have to print it yourself), from babies to kids to adults and home decor ideas. Its a gorgeous book and I've already picked out a couple of projects that I'm keen to try soon.


It also outlines the screen printing process step by step and they make it look so easy. I can't wait to give it a go. Amelia and I have decided that our next sewing weekend will now be a printing weekend.


I think this book has also just been released in the States but is called Sew Charming. A new cover but all the same great content. Have you tried screen printing? How did it go?

Thanks Amelia for coming all the way over to visit and for the beautiful thoughtful gifts. I'm hanging out for our next sewing weekend already.

10 comments:

  1. ahhh..Looks like SOO much fun!! Count Me In! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awesome place and a fun thing to do with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh what a scrummy chair! and the book is on my Christmas list, I'd better let Mister Bell know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Love that chair...nice to have such a kindred spirit for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to have the time to do such things ... almost finished uni .. almost .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visting Prints Charming must have been awesome! And your gifts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing to be able to visit! Love all the projects and cards, so crisp, so fresh, so new. Thanks for sharing your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the chair is brilliant! love the book too ... so many great ideas! have to look for it and put it on my list of books I NEED!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had so much fun with you Katie!Thanks for having me. I can't wait until next time XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, sounds like you two sisters had an amazing weekend - thanks for telling us about Prints Charming. The cards your sister made are adorable and a wonderful gift idea...I may just have to employ that for my sisters for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com