Saturday, December 4, 2010

Manly quilt

I love it when I see a quilt that is great for a guy as there doesn't seem to be many manly quilts around. I find it hard to find fabric that I would describe as masculine, but a while ago at Material Obsession I found some fantastic hand printed linen/cotton fabric by Cloth.  I loved it's bold geometric prints on more rugged fabric, but I wasn't sure what I would do with it and because of the more expensive price tag I let it slide. I couldn't get it out of my head however, and overnight I found inspiration for it in my hotel room - the wooden shutters/blinds on the window (you can see pictures of the fabric and shutters on this post). The next day I was back and the lovely staff at Material Obsession helped me buy what I needed to make this...


The simplicity of it reminds me a little of some of Victoria's work quilts from The Silly BooDilly (I'm in love with her work - including her magnificent hand quilting). I'm so happy with how the brown sashing frames the blocks, and the touches of orange gives it a lift. The orange strips are pieced and the round splotches are added using raw edge applique.

Then I added a bit of a wild border. At first I wasn't sure about it as it's certainly different from what I've done before, but thanks to a little encouragement from Victoria I've decided to go with it and see how it comes together with the quilting.


I've already started on a mixture of hand and  machine quilting and I'm really enjoying stepping outside my comfort zone and working with these beautiful fabrics.

By the way, thanks for all the lovely comments on my Fussy Framed tutorial. It's good to know that it makes sense. I've been beavering away and have finished 20 blocks so I'll upload them to flickr soon. And thanks to everyone who added a quilt to my new flickr group - they look fantastic!

15 comments:

  1. I love it! The border breaks up the uniformity perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Jessica. The border really gives it movement!

    I had to chuckle at your use of the term "manly quilt"...I just finished up what I called a manly quilt for my hubby. http://www.flickr.com/photos/37360130@N07/5123741917/in/set-72157625372131651/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome quilt!! I love the border, too -just the right touch of "not-girly"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is great! what awesome fabric and patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, LOVE it! The mix of colors and the fabrics are very manly and modern.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilt. Of course the orange is fabulous! Especially love the border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is perfect! I love that you kept the same fabrics in each column and didn't mix them all around the quilt - the 'order' of it really appeals to me and I agree with everyone else, the border is fantastic. Well done!!! How cool to find the perfect fabric and inspiration on the same weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks GREAT! I love that the main body is very ordered and aligned, and that the border is so random. Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, love this!!! It's always nice to see a good man-friendly quilt now and then. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a winner, Kate! You are a genius! I love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is truly gorgeous! I love the gray background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That quilt looks great. Is it the breeze or do they appear to be open shuttered windows? The border takes it one step further and adds a lot of interest as will quilting. Its nice to see quilts done up...really well done and sorry you missed Saturday...maybe next year. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is great when those ideas get stuck in your head and come to eventual fruition. As artists we can't ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in awe. I have nothing new to add from all previous commenters. I agree with so much of what they said. I HAVE to do a quilt like this. This is really my kind of quilt. Well done Kate. (P.S. I know the name contest is over but I'll add my 2 cents anyways. My daughters are Silken and Linnaea. We are both teachers and we had trouble coming up with names that didn't conjure up students we'd rather not rememer. Our sons? Cedar and Larkin (who leaves for Aussie land on jan 9th).
    Happy Holidays , Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com