Monday, January 17, 2011

Quilt Auction and Patterns

I've never sold a quilt before. I have limited sewing time, and there's just too much time and effort that goes into a quilt, let alone material costs, that it just isn't worth it to me. I have a huge family, so most of my quilts have been given away to them.


BUT... when the very thoughtful Toni emailed me about the Auctions she was planning, to give relief to flood victims in Queensland, I jumped on my sewing machine almost straight away to make this quilt as my contribution. I finished the binding late last night and look photos early this morning (hence the poor lighting) - just in time to join in with all the other auctions running (you can find the master list here).


This quilt measures 104cm x 128cm (41" x 50") and is made using my Skittles pattern and Saffron Craig's beautiful Bird Tree and Forest Elemental ranges (most of which have sold out), as well as Kona Cotton Solid fabrics. It's fully reversible and would make a great baby or toddler quilt, or even a knee rug for someone older. I loved using my new sewing machine (which I'll tell you about soon!) to quilt straightish lines varying from 1/4 to 3/4 inches apart. The binding was attached by hand on the back. Being cotton with bamboo batting, it can be thrown in the washing machine and dryer and will only get softer and snugglier with use.


How this auction works:
1.  Bidding will start at $100 (Australian).
2.  You can place a bid by leaving a comment on this blog post with your bid amount and email address.  Please make sure that your bid is higher than the previous bidder.  
3.  Your bid must be in whole dollar increments.
4.  This auction is open to everyone. I will cover the postage costs.
5.  The auction begins NOW and will END at midnight 9pm on Monday 24th January 2011 (my time).
6.  At the close of the auction, I will contact the winner (please make sure your bid comment includes your email address).  The winner will pay the winning amount directly into the Premier's Flood Relief Appeal and send me proof of payment via email.  Once proof of payment has been received, I will post your quilt to you.
7.  Thank you for participating and happy bidding!


Patterns
If the quilt is a little out of your price range, you could buy one (or more) of my patterns. I will be donating all of the proceeds from my pdf patterns that sell this week, ending Monday 24th Jan (or up to $500 - I'll let you know if we get to that amount!) - now closed. You can find all of my patterns here. Thanks so much for your generosity in buying patterns - we've achieved the goal of raising $500 from the patterns!

14 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Katie!! I'd love a Kate Conklin original ... $100

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow its beautiful! Good luck with the auction! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shari, I'm completely speechless! Thankyou so so much for your incredible generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Told you Kate :)

    I'm not speechless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate - the quilt is stunning, as expected... I wanted to make a bid, but can't beat Shari's fantastic offer, even though the quilt is worth it! Off to the pattern section now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - great bid Shari!! I am off to get some patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt and amazing bid, Shari! I'll be gettng a pattern, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Kate, gorgeous quilt, and Shari rocks for her fantastic bid :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't beat Shari's bid! Lovely quilt Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could bid but way out of my range $$$

    What a beautiful quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I don't know how I've never seen your blog until now. Your work is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com