Friday, February 4, 2011

Map of the States - quick sticks - top

Last year I made these blocks based on Elizabeth's (from Oh Fransson) "Map of the States" blocks, but used a quick stack and slash method instead (you can find Elizabeth's original tutorial here and my tutorial here).  Both methods have their advantages and limitations as described on this post.


I finally got around to adding sashing in Kona Cotton Snow, and I love how it frames the blocks. At first I was going to alternate the pink/orange and grey/green blocks, but then I thought I'd try having all of the pinky ones on one side and the green ones on the other. I liked it, but also liked the interplay between the different blocks, so I settled on this arrangement, and I'm really pleased with it.

This is a pretty big quilt for me (approx 57" x 83" - 145cm x 210cm), so I'm looking forward to seeing how it fits under my new sewing machine. I'm thinking about straight line quilting in the sashing, and free motion stitching on the blocks.


Now I just have to peice the back (not my favourite part) and then get down on the floor to baste it (not sure if I'll be able to get up off the floor once I'm down! - anyone want to come to a basting party??).

Addit: the blocks are 10" finished, sashing 3" finished and borders 4" finished.
Blocks are a combination of Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt and coordinating solids.
As mentioned, sashing and borders are in Kona Cotton Snow.

14 comments:

  1. I love this! The way one rogue block sneaks into each side is great and adds a lot of interest. Good luck with basting while pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt! Just incase you finish up this quilt within the next week, I am hosting a quilt show/contest called the Love Nest Quilt Contest for modern bedsize quilts. Entries open until Feb. 9.

    I'd love for you to enter this fabulous quilt!

    AnneMarie @ Gen X Quilters


    http://www.genxquilters.com/2011/01/love-nest-quilt-contest-at-gen-x.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt. The colour scheme is wonderful, and love the placement of the two blocks out of their colour zone.
    Hope you can get up off the floor once the basting is finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, too. You inspired me to start pulling fabric, to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be glad to come help you baste, but it's a little far from Tennessee to Australia! Love the quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks great. Mine is still waiting to be basted, not sure what to do with the back. Good luck with getting up that belly must be quite big by now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I were closer, i.e., in Australia, not the States, I would definitely come help you baste this beautiful quilt top!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you arranged the blocks, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would so help you baste if I were closer! I love how you arranged the blocks - it's a fantastic modern quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has turned out so fantastic Kate! I love how you have switched one of the blocks in each colourway. If you can wait til Thurs evening to baste it, I can help!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I WILL!!!!! i wish! Kate i LOVE how you put them together, the layout!! your so good with that! Thinking outside the box.. i LOVE it LOVE it..What sort of free motion quilting in the blocks??? xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these blocks and really appreciate the tutorial! I can't wait to try this out. My weekend plans just changed .....

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fantastic and I love those 2 mixed blocks. I heard a tip that you can clear off your dining table and use bulldog clips to hold it firmly on there and then baste like usual - without the sore knees/back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kate, you really need one of those fold away tables that I told you about. With a few bulldog clips basting would be so much easier. Also I love your new quilt. You always inspire me. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com