Tuesday, February 1, 2011

So soft

Judging from all the comments on my previous post, it sounds like I'm not alone when it comes to little girls and hair cutting capers! Sarah started her first day at a new preschool this week (sporting a pink T Shirt just in case there was any confusion :)) and she absolutely loves it there. I think she's also loving the fact that I can't "encourage" her to wear her hair in pigtails anymore.

I started thinking about knitting a baby blanket after coming across these gorgeous ones at the purl bee. The hand dyed colours and simple stripes are just wonderful! It looked so easy, even I could make one, but when mum offered to whip one up for me I jumped at the chance to have a beautifully knitted blanket made by her (and it will probably get finished now, instead of sitting in the wishful thinking pile). I've done a little knitting before, but I'm pretty slow. I never was able to get that "Clickety clack" thing happening, that my mum and granny have perfected.

I didn't have time to order the kit from the purl bee as mum and dad have just received their mission call to Finland and will be leaving in just over a month! It will be wonderful for them to be serving in dad's homeland, and mum has been spending lots of time learning Finnish (not an easy language!). I will miss them, and they will miss the birth, so it will be extra special to have a blanket for the baby. So, without delay mum and I found this amazing yarn at the Needle Nook. Its a mixture of merino wool, cashmere and silk, its machine washable, and incredibly soft (I have very sensitive skin and this feels wonderful). We've decided to stick with wide stripes and simple knitting. 


I have a feeling this one will be a keeper!

Yarn is Sidar - Sublime - cashmere/silk/wool - 8 ply - 50g - made in Italy.

7 comments:

  1. How exciting that your parents are going to serve a mission! Nice that she is knitting the blanket for you. I am sure it will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family is Finnish too! On my father's side. When I was in my 20's I dated a Finnish architect who taught me to say very useful things in Finnish like: I would like some ice-cream, I would like a kiss, and how to count to ten.

    Thank you for your kind words on my sea views quilt post, and your helpful tutorial. Once I got the swing of it, it was easy as pie! It was my first quilt, and now I'm hooked. Can't wait to make my next one for my 2nd son who is due in May. Love your stuff, and your daughter's haircut pics are PRICELESS!

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  3. O I just LOVE Sublime yarn, it's really gorgeous! I knitted my very first item, a baby scarf for my little girl, in it! Your baby will be so snuggly in this. If you find knitting slow you should think about crochet, it works up much quicker and there are some fab patterns out ther for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love yarn and pattern!
    Kate, what kind of Mission will your parents be going on? And getting to go to Finland! how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely project to plan together. Like you, I have a master knitter mom, so I get to sit back, listen to the clickety clack and enjoy the results! I've got 9 pairs of her amazing socks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elsa, mum and dad are going on an 18 month mission for our Church - the Church or Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - also known as Mormons. They will be helping out with youth programs and supporting small branches of the church in remote areas (such as Lapland up north), as well as spreading the message of the gospel of Christ. It's very exciting for them. Finland is absolutely beautiful and the people are lovely, so I'm sure they'll be well looked after.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com