Thursday, March 3, 2011

Erin's Wedding Quilt

This will be my last wedding quilt in a while. I can't believe my three youngest sibling have all married within the last 12 months! It's wonderful to see them all so happy with their special someone.

The idea behind this quilt is that there's a side for Rory, and a side for Erin, and they each have a little of each other within their heart. You can see a pic of the whole quilt top here. I made it long enough that it can sit on the end of their bed, and they can both cuddle under it on the couch. I think its my biggest yet.


Its always nice getting a good reaction, and they even liked the back!


This one was entirely machine quilted - straight lines on the sashing and borders and free motion stitching on the blocks. I found this was much easier than trying to free motion quilt the whole quilt. I only had to focus on one small section at a time. I'm really happy with how it turned out.



I love that binding.


Erin and Rory's wedding was wonderful. It was a hot day - 35 degrees - so the kids were a little wild :)


But the bride and groom were just radiant. These are my siblings, along with my newest brother in law... Welcome to the family Rory! You have yourself a stunning bride there!


And here's a pic with all of the in-laws and kids... and we're still growing!


I love being part of such a big and close knit family and it was fantastic having everyone in one place at the same time, particularly as mum and dad will be leaving on their mission to Finland in a few days! Time is going waaaay too fast.

25 comments:

  1. No way! I cannot believe how much your family has grown and that you are all married. How wonderful! I totally love the quilt idea by the way. Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are such beautiful family pictures....i love the quilt. putting a block for each on each side was so clever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt & lovely sentiment behind it!
    Your quilting is inspiring - I'm just learning to stipple, & it hadn't dawned on me that I could maybe do straight-line on the same quilt - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful quilt, wedding, and family! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! And their reaction is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing quilt! I love how you used different types of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely looking family! and the quilt is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply gorgeous quilt! I love Hope Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great wedding day! The quilt is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had to comment. What a beautiful family! I have 7 siblings myself (8 total) and we are a huge family now too. The only bummer is that we don't all live in the same area anymore so its rare that we are all together.

    Very nice quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that quilt. such a fun idea. And what a gorgeous family you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous family, fantastic quilt. and look at you glow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great pics kate, great job on the quilt and you are looking fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Quilt! love the idea of a his n her side :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kate...It Turned out soooo great!! Yes i love the idea of square different. Looks awesome. Your so clever!! xx How are you doing?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that quilt! I am currently making your charm bracelets quilt for my sister's wedding - using that same range of fabric!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous quilty idea to have one side each with a little of each others, love it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt Kate! I love how you have stippled the blocks and then straight stitching in the sashing, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely day kate - your family is gorgeous and cool story about the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the quilting you have done on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, what an incredible family!! The wedding quilt is fantastic and I can certainly see why they love it. How lucky they are to have you in the family, making them all gorgeous quilts, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful quilt. I like the way you pieced the back. it's so simple yet looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com