Friday, April 29, 2011

If I had more than one set of arms...

... to cuddle baby Gracie all day and night as well as sew, this is what I would make...

I would cut into my lovely little stash of Cloud9's organic "Nature Walk" fabric and whip up this quilt that I designed ages ago. I took the idea of "nature walk" and created garden beds connected by curved paths. I've drawn a bunch of other sketches, but I keep coming back to this one.


I would make a bean bag for Dane out of this very boyish "Little Monsters" fabric by Stepping Stones. Does anyone know of a great bean bag tutorial or pattern that I could use?


And from these amazing new fabrics from Umbrella Prints ...


I might try making a little Tomte doll from Kajsa Wikman's book "Scandinavian Stitches" - for Grace.


I just need that other set of hands! I do have a hug-a-bub, which she loves and it leave both arms free, but I figure I should spend a little time doing things like brushing my teeth before midday, playing with Sarah and Dane, making them lunch instead of sending them down the hall to Nanna's for icecream, unpacking the dishwasher ... you get the picture. I've been so fortunate to have the wonderful support of my family - especially my mother in law, Cyndy, who stayed for a couple of weeks and took care of everything! The many meals that have been dropped off have been amazing, and Todd arranged a wonderful holiday away for Easter. But he's gone back to work now, which means I need to start doing a little more around the place as well as enjoying constant cuddles. Fortunately I'm starting to feel a little human again as Grace is sleeping better at night :)

Grace has been tucked up in the Hug-a-bub while I've been taking photos and writing this post, and just now she looked up at me and smiled her first real smile - a priceless moment. I think sewing might just have to wait a little longer :) But don't worry, I still have a couple of things that I haven't shown you yet.

Also, thank you to everyone who has left lovely comments. I'm sorry I've been hopeless at responding, but I know you understand.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, I downloaded a bean bag pattern from the Robert Kauffmann site - haven't made it yet, but it looks pretty good. Enjoy the cuddles while you can. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we understand. I also understand the call of the sewing machine. The longer I'm away, the more ideas of new projects fill my thoughts! Enjoy those precious cuddles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go! This is a for purchase (not expensive) bean bag chair PDF pattern at Dana Made It.

    http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/blog-post_01.html

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made the chair on the Robert Kauffmann site and it turned out great. I highly recommend either the adult or the kids size from there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your cuddle time. It just never gets old snuggling up to that soft baby skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I would love to see a quilt made up in Nature Walk...I have a FQ set and cannot decide what to make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! I've not seen those in the US. (Sarah sent me). Congrats on Grace, she's a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. visiting from confessions of a fabric addict...congrats on the little bundle...so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kate, I just looked through your wonderful posts. Love, love you patterns and quilts. I too, am visiting from Sarah/Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Enjoy your little bundle of joy~! I will certainly be back to look at more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Turkish Underwears
    www.yoncatoptan.com
    please wisit me,ı will be glad:)))

    my wife blog (handmade)
    kolyecim67.blogcu.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOh, I love those Umbrella Prints fabrics. I can't wait to see the "Nature Walk" quilt ... I wish I had a couple of extra arms to lend you so you could do everything you want to. Enjoy the cuddles with Grace :)
    Love you XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those umbrella print fabrics stopped me in my tracks. And I LOVE your sketch for the Nature Walk quilt. Enjoy your cuddle time with Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've made two of these bean bags, one for each of my boys.
    http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/blog/bean_bag_chair.pdf

    It's a great pattern and it's free! I think there is a larger size one too but this was fine for the kids.

    You can see the one I made for my elder boy here...

    http://smalldarkandhandsome1.blogspot.com/2009/12/beginning.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your idea for Nature Walk quilt - can't wait to see how it turns out, when you have some time to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She smiled because she knew her Mama was happy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kateeconklin(at)gmail(dot)com