Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cheater Cloth

Have you ever used cheater cloth? I bought this fabric (Denyse Schmidt's Patchwork Promenade panel from her County Fair collection) years ago. I wanted a quilt by Denyse Schmidt and this was the closest I was going to get to it. Originally I was going to hand quilt it to make it look like it was a pieced top instead of just one big piece of fabric. As time went on and my quilting skills and confidence increased I found I could actually design and make my own quilt tops, so this stayed stashed away in the cupboard. Just before Grace was born I decided this would make a perfect picnic quilt. I've always liked the idea of a picnic quilt, but just couldn't bear the thought of the kids spilling food all over a quilt that I had spent weeks on. This was the perfect solution - quick, hardy (its a heavier weigh decorator cotton) and beautiful!


This quilt was so much fun to quilt! I just did random straightish/wobblyish lines vertically and horizontally, sewing at break-neck speed with wreckless abandon. And my machine goes pretty fast!


I even tried machine binding the edges. It worked okay, but the corners didn't catch all that well, so I had to finish it off with some hand stitching in a few spots. My sister, Amelia, just showed me a great technique to ensure perfect machine binding. I think she'll be posting a tutorial soon :)


We've already used it, and look it has sand all over it...


And fish and chips! I wasn't even a little bit precious about it :)


I finished this quilt before Grace was born but am only just getting around to posting about it now.

I think I'm going to take a little blogging break. Take your pick from the following reasons - my camera's battery is dead and I can't find the charger, Dane popped my camera's SD card into the back of the computer's CD reader, Sarah's about to start school and I want to spend some time with her, Grace is not sleeping well and, quite frankly, I'm exhausted. Once my big girl starts school in a couple of weeks I'll be back to show you what I've been working on. In the mean time, happy quilting!

15 comments:

  1. NOthing like a good picnic!! Love the quilt. Praying for some sweet sleep for you!

    Many blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love County Fair and I think your quilt is beautiful (even though you did "cheat")! Thanks for showing it off!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now That is great cheater fabric! Relax, have fun and get some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love your quilting =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! And a great idea for a picnic blanket, I have been trying to think of what I could make that I wouldn't stress over ruining! If you hadn't told us it was a cheater, I would never have guessed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cheater cloth? Wow, it looks great! Take a break and enjoy what is happening around you. We'll still be here when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOve the picnic quilt. Have s good bresk, relsx, enjoy your fsmily, we will still be here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Glad you enjoyed some rest and hope you enjoy your blogging break :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the best cheater quilt I've ever seen. It looks amazing! Enjoy your blogging break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this quilt! I remember seeing it as a kit but by the time I went back to buy it, there weren't any more. I too like the idea of a cheater quilt for picnics!

    I hope Amelia posts that tutorial soon because I had a bear of a time trying to machine bind a quilt not too long ago...

    Enjoy your break!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your picnic quilt! It looks like great fun.... Enjoy your break, we'll appreciate you all the more when you return!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rest up Kate. Have fun soaking up those kids before they grow up. It happens too quickly. I've got one who starts kinder next week, where did that time go????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic quilt Kate! Enjoy your time away, we'll all be here waiting when you come back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fish and chips on the beach...completely jealous. Love the colours in the quilt, perfect for hiding accidental spills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so gorgeous!!! i love the fabrics

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com