Friday, August 24, 2012

Getting to know my Nikon D90




I'm turning over a new leaf with photo taking. I've always just stuck my camera on auto and snapped a bazillion photos in different lights and locations until a few came out okay, but now that I have a new camera I'm really trying to learn how it use it properly. I love our new Nikon D90! It takes beautiful photos, particularly due to the 50mm 1.4f lens which lets in lots of light so you can take good photos in low light.  Todd's thrilled that I'm finally going beyond auto, so that I'm not so reliant on him to take photos of my quilts. I'd like to do a 'proper' course, but right now I've attended a beginners course put on by a couple of girls from church, and I've watched these online videos - which were brilliant for going through the basics step by step - specific to my camera. I now know about aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. Now I just have to practice so I can think on my feet and get the right thing in focus. Some of these photos were taken by me and some by Todd.

up early

date night





 
penny lane markets
bike riding along the river torrens
protest


posing
the beauty of sharing a bed

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations, the photos are beautiful and sure you can learn more.
    Your boys are very handsome.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen Russell at "Snapshots of a Good Life" does a great online workshop. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! How good is manual :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You snaps are great. I see great things in your photo future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! I have a D90 as well, and I also am just starting to get out of AP into manual. I'd love to get a 50mm prime lense, but for now I'll have to settle with my 18-200mm which has alot of good uses too! One of the best books I have ever read is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Pederson! I got it from the library,and it came highly recommended by "those in the know"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos look great, Kate. I have a D90 also, it's a wonderful camera! Enjoy your move out of auto mode, you'll be amazed what you can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, I've just done a "Shooting 101" course at clickinmoms.com - it was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com