Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Surface Art... and a blogging break

I've been waiting for Adelaide designers - Surface Art - to bring out their first range of quilting weight cottons, and when a lovely bundle came in the mail recently, I certainly wasn't disappointed.


In fact, I love their designs, as does Todd (and he's quite hard to please when it comes to fabric.)


I dusted off my graph book immediately and drafted a simple quilt inspired by the cait fabric (above on the left) that would show off the bold colours and designs. I even drew up the templates in corel draw - each petal measures about 10in tall. This will use curved piecing, not applique.


And then I sat down with myself and had a frank talk. When was I going to have time to actually make this? You may have noticed that I haven't been showing any quilting lately. No, I haven't been writing a book or working on a secret pattern (I wish!). I just haven't been quilting at all. The reason is that I'm exhausted and I need to focus my energy. I'm not sure how you fit it all in, and I'm not sure how I used to fit it all in either. But I've just hit a wall. Between three young children, international students and preparing to move house, it's time for me to pair back and focus on the most important things first. I'm becoming increasingly aware of how quickly my precious children are growing and I really want to savour this time with them. Because I love quilting so much, it's easy for it to take over not only my time, but also my brain space. I have been guilty in the past of rushing through the bed time routine with the kids so I can get out there and quilt. There are so many exciting quilting projects that I'm hanging out to start ... but it can wait ... children can't.


So I'm taking a blogging break; a little bit of time away where I wont feel guilty that I'm not keeping up. Please feel free to email me if you have a question or a photo to share. I'll still be around.

Quilting and sharing on this blog are important to me, so I'm hoping once we're settled into our new house (a beautiful acreage in the hills) I'll have more time to quilt, while maintaining some sort of balance. I'm hoping for my own sewing room,which will help that cause!

In the mean time I'll just enjoy walking past this gorgeous little bundle and giving it a reassuring pat every now and then.


And I might need to get my hands on some of Saffron's new Wombat Wonderland range before it sells out!


And then I'll take a break :)

17 comments:

  1. You are great. I think we all go through feeling like that, having trouble saying 'no' to something or being able to prioritise and cut back. I know I have several times, and I don't even have kids or quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true that children don't keep. Keep the kiddies in sight and everyone will be here when you get back :)Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post Kate - I too struggle with getting a balance between kids and quilting (and you're so right - quilting always invades my thoughts!) Good luck with the move - and I can't wait to see what you create once you're back :o)

    Ps I'm so excited the quilting cottons are finally available - I love surface art's prints!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best choice sweet Kate! Nothing more important than the ones you are with xxx moving to the hills I'm so jealous! I really hope you have a smooth move and a bit of peace for as long as you see fit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just moved as well, or I should say I moved with three kids and my husband will be here soon. Take a break, play and reorganize. We will all be here when you come back with your new and wonderfully fresh ideas. Best of luck on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That fabric is gorgeous.

    Thank you for being so candid. I, too, am often chomping at the bit to find more time to quilt. But you're right. Fabric will still be there. Kids are ever-changing.

    Congratulations on the new homestead! Best wishes for your move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very wise to trust your instincts and take the high road with your family. You will never ever regret it or feel guilty about that decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!!! Love your design!!! All of your fabrics are wonderful!!!! I am in love with the wombat wonderland!!!!! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla, Certainly a lovely to read. What a lovely thing to say. Thanks from Saffron

      Delete
  9. Nothing is more important than family and finding balance in your life. As always, you inspire us Kate! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Children grow up too fast, sewing can wait! Enjoy your break and good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the love Kate. I too put Sequoia first. Happy days. Big hugs, your friend Saffron

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh what a shame, i only just discovered your blog! i totally understand the need to give your full attention to childrwen though. in fact when i read how you rushed bed time routine so you could go & quilt, my heart skipped a beat!! oh no....i'll enjoy reading all your past posts & hope one day you return :) cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your break, Kate - you're right, children should come first! We'll be here waiting when you get back - I personally can't wait to see what you do with the Surface Design fabrics!! I hope we'll be able to get those here in the States - I love those orange circles on red!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have been in the process of starting a wordpress blog and hope to make money doing it someday. However, due to the complexity of creating your own template, I was a bit discouraged. Still a little baffled but I’ll get it eventually I’m sure! Thanks again for the information
      kizlik zari

      Delete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I try to respond but life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions please email me at kate(at)kateconklindesigns(dot)com